Friday, 29 March 2013

time for her baby...

So I've  been busy making some bits for my babies room.  I had already made the bedding with the fab Peter Rabbit material for his cot and so decided to add a few bits to his room...

I got a pattern for a door stop (original link/pattern no longer available but think this one is better! Though wouldn't bother interlining unless really thin material) which i'd made for a couple of family members, and it's so easy and cute I thought i'd use for baby Samuel's room.  Seriously it's so easy and you end up with this!

I then got a little giddy and went 'off-pattern' to create some tie-backs...  

Needed: Spare material
4 x D Rings

Cut 2 lengths (whatever you have hanging around, approx 20" x 4") of fabric and 4 small tabs (approx 3" x 1").  Fold the two lengths in half  - good sides in - and sew down one length (leaving 0.5" un-sewn at each end) then turn right side out and press.

At the same time press the smallest hem on each side of the long length of your 'tabs', these are used to attached your D-rings.  Sew down each hem, no need to back stitch as these will be en-cased in the actual tie-back.  It's just for a good finish...

Fold these tabs over the D-Rings (I had some from old tie-backs I no longer used) and sew across to fix in place.  Don't worry if not very neat as will all be covered up shortly!

Fold in the ends of the tie back lengths (you can do this when pressing and press these for neatness, but no biggy), and then slot in the 'tabs' and pin in place...

Sew round the full length approx 5mm in from the edge, start half way down a length as will be covered when folded.  The edging not only gives a professional finish but attaches the 'tabs' to the actual tie backs. 

Once sewn you are left with these fab tie backs! 

Hope my instructions were okay, thought i'm aware some pics initially would have been good!  Any questions just ask!

Fay x

P.S Up-cycling at it's best, all made from off-cuts x

Saturday, 23 March 2013

some time to take a break and bake!

So it's been all work and no play recently.  My day job is pretty full on and stressful at moment (not really what I envisaged when I applied for a little part time job in an office for some extra pennies! LOL) and things at home always manic, with 3 boys so no let up there.  However last weekend I decided it was time to take a break, put everything aside and spend some time with my eldest, baking bread!

 Yes we cheated, it was only pre-bought packet mix.  In our defence OH had bought it ages back as he 'said' he'd make in bread machine but never did, so it needed using!
 Mixing done we kneaded, although H had to take over as i managed to crack knuckles while kneading and ended up with swollen hand for the week - who'd have thought baking was so dangerous!

 Having been unsure on the size of the loaf tin we hedged our bets and halved the mixture, making small loaf and four bread buns/rolls.  Covered and put in airing cupboard to prove...

We quickly realised that the tin was in fact 2lb and we could have put whole mixture in, ah well now we know!

Then into the oven for 20-25 mins to bake.  Checking when we removed them they were cooked properly by tapping on their base for hollow sound.  Perfect!

We were very happy with the result!  Might need to have a go at it from scratch next time.  Will try not to break my hand in the process!!!!

Anyway, back to work now :-(

Fay x